Contra Dance/Contradance Links for the
Great Plains Region
of the United States
South Dakota |
Bands and Musicians |
North Dakota |
This page is devoted to listing contra dances in the Great Plains
region of the United States along with bands, musicians, callers, and
organizations that are based in the region. URLs and e-mail addresses
are listed when available. New entries, additional information, and
changes in information are always welcome. Links to other pages in
the www.contradancelinks.com web site are listed at the bottom of the page.
New links are simply new to me, not
necessarily new to the World Wide Web. Change
in URL means that a link has changed its WWW address or
- No regional links found or submitted.
- Roger Alexander provides information about The Central Iowa Barn Dance
Association which holds dances in Ames on the 4th Saturday of each month.
- Contra-indications is a new dance series in Des Moines, generally on 3rd Saturdays. New entry (June 6, 2012)
- The Fairfield Folk Arts and Dance Co-op holds contra dances in Fairfield along with a variety of other events.
- The dances in Highlandville are generally held on the 3rd Saturday of each month.
- There are contra dances on the 4th Saturday of the month at 7:30pm at the Senior Center in Iowa City. (e-mail only or call 319-384-8209) New entry (September 14, 2010)
- Kansas Contra
Dancing covers that exact topic.
- The Chase County Contra Dance Society hosts monthly dances on the 3rd Saturday (and beginning in January, the 4th Saturday) of each month in Cottonwood Falls.
- CrossCurrents Contra Dance Committee hosts dances in Kansas City on the 2nd Saturday of each month. Change in location (January 3, 2010)
- The Lawrence
Barn Dance Association holds dances generally on the 3rd Saturday of
the month. They also have advanced dances on 5th Saturdays and family
dances on 1st Saturdays. This information is provided by Brad Levy.
- The Lawrence Barn Dance Association holds an annual Pilgrims
Progression Dance Weekend in mid-November in Lawrence. Brad Levy maintains the page.
- Uptown Hoedown happens in Lawrence with a mix of hot squares, contras and more, generally, but not always, on 1st Saturdays.
- The Big Feet, Little Feet Family Dance occurs in the late afternoon on 1st Saturdays from October to March in Lawrence. New entry (January 3, 2010)
- The Land Institute, as part of its annual Natural Systems Agriculture Graduate Research Fellows Workshop, holds a contra dance in Matfield Green, Kansas in mid-June.
- There are is Old-Time Community Contra Dance in Newton on (usually) the 3rd Saturday of some months. Updated entry (June 3, 2012)
- The Land Institute holds an annual Prairie Festival in Salina in late September which includes a barn dance.
- The Wichita
contra dance series is held on the 1st Saturday of each month.
- The dances in Lincoln
occur on the 1st Saturday of each month. Butch Krause supports the page.
- There are dances in Ralston (near Omaha), usually on the 3rd Saturday of each month at 7:30 PM at the Seymour Elementary School with an hour of Scandinavian dances starting at 6:30pm.
- North Country Fiddle and Dance puts on a variety of events on the North Dakota/Minnesota border including in Grand Forks. Check the newspaper, Culture Pulse for listings for upcoming events. Also check the Tickwood Stringband site for information about the dances for which they play in North Dakota.
No links found or submitted for this state.
- The new dance series in Bartlesville that was on the 3rd Saturday of the month in the Grand Ballroom is now on hiatus. Dance on hiatus (June 30, 2013)
- The Scissortail Traditional Dance Society sponsors dances in Oklahoma City on the 2nd and 4th
Saturday of each month.
- The "A Contra Affair" dances occur in Stillwater generally on the third Friday of each month. New entry (October 14, 2013)
- The Tulsa
Barn Dance series, happening on 1st Saturdays. Change in URL (June 29, 2013)
Mayhem, based in Iowa City, Iowa plays rollicking tunes, dancing
tunes, sing along songs, and a repertoire that ranges from country to
Cajun to classical this band entertains everyone from 3 to 103. Change of URL (January 3, 2010)
- Arabesque plays Arabic and Irish acoustic music on flute and various string instruments for dances and other events in Oklahoma and elsewhere. MySpace page.
- Bob and Melissa Atchison have played at contra dances and square dances since the early 1980s and live in Kansas. New entry (April 9, 2011)
- Since its inception in 1991, The Barn Owl Band, its mainstay gig has ben playing for dances in Ames, Iowa, but it has brought its new sound of the traditional American string band to other locales and included new compositions that add to the tradition.
- Calliope House is rooted in Celtic, old-time and folk traditions and banded together in 2003 in Oklahoma City.
- Wayne Cantwell of Del
City, Oklahoma, occasionally plays at contra dances. MySpace page.
Stringband from Two Foot Falls, Kansas, specializes in
- Finnegan's Awake is based in Tulsa, Oklahoma and plays a fine blend of acoustic music with flavors of Irish, Celtic and a pinch of folk.
- The Flatland String
Band plays at contra dances and other events in Kansas.
- Flying Pig Fiddle & Banjo play Old-Time Southern Appalachian String Band Music on fiddles, banjo, washtub, washboard, pitchfork, fiddlesticks, feet, and more in and around Iowa.
- The Gilded Bats are an Iowa City area old-time string band who have been playing together since 2003.
- Based in Cottonwood Falls, Kansas, Instant Grits play high energy old-time and bluegrass at contra dances.
- The Plaid Family from Kansas, plays a medley of barn-dance tunes to a turn-of-the-century cakewalk to a new emu-herding song.
- The Porch Stompers play for dances in Iowa and sing some fine country harmonies.
- The Prairie Acre is based in Lawrence, Kansas, started up in 2002 and brings together elements of traditional bluegrass and old-time to create a unique sound and fuel their highly contagious positive energy.
- The Oklahoma group, The Prairie Land String Band plays at an occasional contra dance along with playing the traditional music of post-civil war era, but also Cowboy, Blues, Celtic and American Folk music ranging from songs of the sea to traditional murder ballads.
- Eric Ryan-Johnson plays traditional Irish fiddle in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 918.592.4260.
- The band, Scenic Roots,
from Kansas, occasionally plays at a contra dance. They mix
bluegrass, folk, celtic, folk, and gospel for their unique sound. MySpace page.
- The Scissortail Mega Band is a group of volunteer musicians who fill in from time to time for The Scissortail Traditional Dance contra dances in Oklahoma City.
- The Suspicious Contra Band includes Ian Bittle, Wayne Cantwell and Malia Bennett and features Old-time American traditional music as well as Celtic Tunes. The band is based in Oklahoma. MySpace page.
- Three Bean Salad, from Lawrence, Kansas, plays a blend of New England Dance, Celtic and other traditional and contemporary styles. MySpace page.
- Two Dollar Shoe Revival Story plays bluegrass but also plays contra dances in Kansas.
Alexander calls at many of the dances in Ames, Iowa.
- Jill Allen calls at the many of the dances in Lawrence,
Kansas. Added URL (April 9, 2011)
- Enid Cocke
calls on a regular basis at the dances in Kansas. Change of URL (January 3, 2010)
- Susan Downs is a caller and one of the organizers of the dance in Bartlesville. (e-mail only) New entry (September 26, 2010)
- Lisa Harris lives in Lawrence, Kansas, and calls frequently in various cities in her region and beyond. (e-mail only) Updated entry and changed e-mail (September 24, 2012)
- Marcia Minear calls at many of the dances in Ames, Iowa. (e-mail only)
- Lonna Nachtigal calls on a regular basis in Ames, Iowa. (e-mail only)
- Terry Rouse calls in the
Lawrence, Kansas area. (e-mail only)
- Louise Siddons calls in Oklahoma and elsewhere, both contra and English Country Dance. New entry (October 14, 2013)
- Jim Williams calls at many dances in Kansas. (e-mail only)
This page is part of the Contrdancelinks.com web site. For more information about contra dancing, visit these other site pages:
Sites and Pages
Contra Dance Links Home Page
Rehoboth, MA | New
England | Mid-Atlantic
South Atlantic |
South Central | Great Lakes | Great Plains
Rocky Mountains | Pacific | Canada | Rest
of the World
Resources | All Bands and Musicians | All Callers | What's New
Festivals, Weekends, Camps, etc.
Waltzes and Scandinavian Dances |
Traditional and Old-Time Square Dances
Community Bands and Open Bands |
Open Caller Opportunities
Contra Dance Cookies
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Mexico* |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Dakota** |
West Virginia |
*The Colorado link will bring you to Dancing on the Web. The Maine link will bring you to the Downeast Friends of the Folk Arts. The New Mexico link will bring you to the New Mexico Folk Music and Dance Society. The Utah link will bring you to Utah Contradance Information. These fine organizations and individuals already have complete listings for these states and there is no reason for me to duplicate their efforts.
**As far as I know, there are no regular dances or events in Mississippi, South Dakota or Wyoming, but I have created pages if something changes in the future.
Produced by Charlie Seelig
Last updated on October 14, 2013